All we ever hear from the wild-eyed critics of the Catholic Church, including the dissidents within, is that the Church had better “get with it” and change its teachings on abortion, homosexuality and women’s ordination.
Yet it is precisely those religious institutions that are the most liberal on these issues—the mainline Protestant denominations—that are collapsing. Not so the Catholic Church. Indeed, its numbers are going north while the mainline denominations are going south.
The latest findings by the “Emerging Models of Pastoral Leadership” project, a collaborative effort with Georgetown University‘s Center for Applied Research in the Apostolate, are illuminating.
In the last 40 years, the Catholic population has increased by 75 percent; it has grown by 50 percent since 1990.
More important, Catholic attendance at Mass is up 15 percent since 2000.
And in the last five years, contributions have increased by 14 percent. It is also important to note that there has been a 40 percent increase in Latinos in the Church over the past five years.
Shedding more light on the statistics is a study released a few months ago by the Pew Research Center‘s Forum on Religion. Its “Landscape Survey” found that of those Catholics who have left the Church, roughly half became unaffiliated while the other half became Protestant.
Regarding the latter half, only 23 percent did so because of the Church’s teachings on abortion and homosexuality; only 16 percent left because of the way women are treated. Importantly, two-thirds of these Catholics elected to join a Protestant evangelical church.
- The European Union Game Is Over: Nigel Farage MEP ~ German Chancellor Angela Merkel: NWO Has Failed, Germany Returning To Its Christian Roots!
In other words, disaffected Catholics who left for another religion, opted to join a more conservative church. That they did not run down the block in search of a mainline denomination—one that entertains the liberal agenda on issues governing sexuality and women—is telling.
- POST MENOPAUSAL FEMINISTS – BLOCKING INDIGENT WOMEN FROM HOSPITAL CARE TO KILL OFF THE DISPOSSESSED.
- Joseph Goebbels 1930′s Pedophile Modus Operandi Propaganda, to smear the Catholic Church.
The difference between then and now is that the National Socialists Party (Nazis) were retaliating against the severe criticism of the Nazi Party by Pope Pius XI. Now, it is being done to discredit the Moral Authority Of The Holy Catholic Church World Wide – even though the Roman Catholic Church is statistically the lowest of all entities in the world for sexual abuse cases.
It’s time some people took a hard look at the data and made some hard choices. This is great news for the Catholic Church.
- Obama: Enemy Of The Roman Catholic Church And The United States Citizens!
- United States: A Christian Nation
Contact our director of communications about Donohue’s remarks:
The charity and work of Pope Pius XII during World War II so impressed the Chief Rabbi of Rome, Israel Zolli, that in 1944 he was open to the grace of God which led him into the Catholic faith. As his baptismal name, he took the same one Pius had, Eugenio, as his own. Later Israel Eugenio Zolli wrote a book entitled, Why I Became a Catholic.
- Remembering Bloomberg’s New York City Propagandists Exploitation Of 911 Victims: Proposes Gay Practitioner Victims Over 5 Million Catholic Victims Exterminated In Hitler’s Holocaust.
- Global Awakening ~ Behold Is Suddenly Upon You: Roman Catholic Church Condemns Global Warming Scheme.
- Bloomberg Stalls Rebuilding Of Catholic Greek/Russian Church, Destroyed On 9/11 By Islamic State Religion!
- Powers The Queen Has Toppled, Leaves Two Remaining: The United States And The Roman Catholic Church!
- Rothschild Henchmen use Islam because of a shared goal, “The destruction of The Catholic Church”. Sociologist: A Christian Is Martyred Every 5 Minutes ~ 105,000 Christians Murdered Every Year For Their Faith!
- CNN Reporter Arrested In Central Park With Rope Around His Neck And Tied To His Penis – While CNN Cafferty Smears The Catholic Church, Using 1930′s Nazi Pedophile Modus Operandi Propaganda! A Dismissed Case From The 1950′s
- Roman Catholic Vlad Tepes: Impaled The Muslim Brotherhood, Thus Saving His Country From The Islamic Headcutters Of The Ottoman Empire.
- ObamaNation raped & killed 1,000 Christians
- Out Of Africa: Kenyan-Born Obama, All Set For 2004 US Senate ~ Christians, All Set To Die.
“I would not believe the Gospels unless moved thereto by the Catholic Church.”
† - St. Augustine of Hippo ††
As more homosexual and/or pedophile priest scandals selectively air on media across Europe, we should be ashamed of the offenders and those who sheltered them and oppressed the victims. The guilty should be weeded out, removed from office and handed over to the civil authorities where they are guilty of crimes. Systems to avoid abuse must be established and rigorously maintained, and victims should be justly compensated for their suffering.
However, Penn State professor Philip Jenkins (who is not a Catholic) has written the most objective book on the subject, and he summarizes his arguments in this excellent article. In light of his work, we should remember some basic facts and principles:
- Priestly celibacy is not the issue – married men are more likely to abuse children than unmarried
- Most child abuse takes place within the home.
- All religious groups have pedophile scandals, and the Catholics (while the largest religious group) are at the bottom of the list statistically.
- Child abuse is prevalent in all areas of society: schools, youth organizations, sports, etc.
- Statistically, of all the professions, Christian clergy are least likely to offend. Doctors, Farmers and Teachers are the professions most likely to abuse children–not clergy.
- Among clergy offenders Catholic priests are least likely to offend.
- Catholic cases of pedophilia make more headlines because of anti Catholic prejudice and because the Catholic Church is bigger and more lucractive to sue.
- Pedophilia and Euphebophilia are different problems. The former is sexual attraction to pre-pubescent children. The latter is attraction to teenagers. Most cases branded ‘pedophila’ are actually ‘euphebophila.’
- Most of the cases of euphebophilia are homosexual in nature, however the politically correct do not want this problem to be associated with homosexuality.
- The number of Catholic priests guilty of pedophilia is very small.
- What we now call ‘cover up’ was often done in a different cultural context, when the problem was not fully understood and when all establishment organizations hushed scandals. They did so for what seemed good reasons at the time: protection of the victims and their families, opportunity for rehabilitation of the offender, the avoidance of scandal to others. It is unfair to judge events thirty years ago by today’s standards.
- When lawsuits are looming people smell money. We must be wary of false accusations.
- The accused must be entitled to a fair hearing. The church should insist on hard proof of the abuse, and for the sake of justice, ensure that the innocent are not prosecuted.
- When guilt is established the offender must be punished, not sheltered.
- Distinctions must be made between types of abuse. Some offenses are worse than others. Verbal abuse or corporal punishment during a time when that was acceptable, while lamentable, is not the same as sexual abuse or extreme physical abuse.
- Sexual abuse of an adult, or a sexually experienced older teenager is wrong, and damaging, and should be punished, but it is not the same as the sexual abuse of a younger, innocent child.
- Number of offenses must be considered. One lapse is not of the same seriousness as repeated, persistent and premeditated offenses.
I am in no way wishing to be soft of pedophiles and those who covered for them, however justice and truth demand an objective analysis of the facts.
Posted by Fr Longenecker
- Christopher Matthews, Abortion and the Catholic Church (turcopolier.typepad.com)