Four unfortunate facts in the Chinese economy.
1. Overall credit had increased to $23 trillion dollars, up from $9 trillion as recently as 2008.
2. This amount of credit was over 200 percent of GDP, an increase of 75 percentage points in just five years. (By comparison over the same period the United States’ ratio of debt-to-GDP increased by 40 percentage points.
3. The credit rating agency Fitch had downgraded the Chinese government’s debt to AA-.
- The Deception Of Rothschild Czar Paul Krugman On Mafia Keynesian Economics (sic)
- Insidious NWO Obama Pushing Rothschildism in Ukraine & Iraq: Hitler aka’ Rothschild Returns Again For Russia!
- Breaking => Iraq, Obama’s Big Lie 2014: Nouri Maliki The New Genocidal Mao Tse Tung ~ Geneva International Centre Of Justice Responds.
- China’s $23 Trillion Rothschild Credit ‘Debt’ Bubble Is Starting To Collapse ~ China Hanging Bankers: While U.S. Is $6 Trillion Less At $17 Trillion.
Most damning if not ominous, though, was the fourth fact:
4. The cost of short-term borrowing (seven-day) on the Shanghai repo market jumped to nearly 11 percent. This was the highest rate since March 2003. (Zerohedge reported the overnight repo rate was as high as 25 percent at the time.)
In writing Deep Freeze: Iceland’s Economic Collapse, my coauthor Philipp Bagus and I observed a similar set of events with regards to Iceland. Artificially low interest rates, and especially short-term interest rates, created an environment of heavy indebtedness.
Entrepreneurs borrowed money on very-short-term loans in continual need of rolling over. By financing projects with, e.g., a one-month loan at a very low interest rate, the borrower could finance a long-term project provided the credit market remained liquid and interest rates remained low.
Every month he would just borrow back the amount of money to pay off the existing loan. It is somewhat akin to taking out a new credit card to pay off your old balance, which works as long as you have decent credit and the card issuer keeps interest rates low.
At the time I reported that China was on the precipice of a looming bust, the inevitable result of a credit-fueled boom. Like most things, the bigger they are, the harder they fall.
Chinese state media recently warned that investors may not be repaid by the China Credit Trust Co. when some of its wealth management products mature on January 31, the first day of the Year of the Horse.
You say you’ve never heard of the “China Credit Trust Co.”? It was recently spun off by the world’s largest bank by assets, the Industrial and Commercial Bank of China. ICBC has recently suggested that it will not compensate investors for losses and that it will not assume any responsibility.
Indeed, writing for Forbes, Gordan Chang reports that “it should be no mystery why this investment, known as “2010 China Credit-Credit Equals Gold #1 Collective Trust Product,” is on the verge of default.”
China Credit Trust loaned the proceeds from sales of a half billion dollars of product to an unlisted coal mining group. The coal company is, according to Chang, probably paying upwards of 12% for the money as it was desperate for money given that it has already been declared bankrupt.
- Government Report: America’s Combined Energy Resources Is Largest On Earth ~ The Obama Onslaught On Oil, Gas, And Coal Continues!
There has never been a default in a Chinese wealth management product other than some delayed payments. Besides being the first, this one could be a sign of things to come.
Of course, some observers are not worried. As Chang correctly notes:
”To have a market meltdown, you have to have a market”
and China does NOT have one. Instead, Beijing [Rothschild aka; mafia] technocrats dictate outcomes.”
That is indeed correct, but there is the unfortunate fact that private money is on the line. People have invested in China thinking the party would never stop. The Chinese government acting as a surrogate for the market is also the reason why China is heading for the granddaddy financial collapses.
- Empty Cities In China Increasing: 64 Million Vacant Homes Within 20 Ghost Cities.
- Breaking => The Answer To China’s Ghost Cities: Destroying Farm Production [Agenda 21] By Forcing The Rural Chinese Into Newly Built $Consumer Based Urban Concentration Cities. Then Depopulation.
Nixon killed the gold standard in August 15, 1971 [just 4 years before genocidal megalomaniac Zedong died] the world has suffered from 12 financial crises, beginning with the oil shock of 1973 and culminating in the financial crisis of 2008-09 [facade of rothschild bank bailouts] and now the debt crisis in Europe, and the growing deficit crisis in the U.S.
The U.S. had a modest net export surplus in 1971 before Nixon started the dollar on its downward path. Today, we have a $405 billion trade deficit.
Chinese GDP has not contracted on a year-on-year basis since 1976, the year the great communist leader Mao Zedong died and optimists note that the Chinese government and central bank are flush with cash. This may be, but there are a lot of dodgy wealth funds out there. At the end of 2013 there was as much as 11 trillion yuan ($1.8 trillion) invested in wealth management products, just like the one expected to default at month´s end.
As I said, the bigger they are the larger they fall. After recently dethroning Japan as the world’s second largest economy, China is about as big as they come. Size is not a substitute for stability, however, and China´s years of dependence predicated on short-term loans might just prove the point.
David Howden is Chair of the Department of Business and Economics, and professor of economics at St. Louis University, at its Madrid Campus, Academic Vice President of the Ludwig von Mises Institute of Canada, and winner of the Mises Institute’s Douglas E. French Prize. Send him mail.
- Breaking => $10 Billion Bitcoin Goes Live On Overstock!
- Commercial Developer Selling $7.5 Million Mansion For BitCoin
- Bitcoin 2014: Get Out Of The Rothschild Matrix And Into The Citizen’s Medium Of Exchange!
- When Saving Interest Rates Go Negative: Time For New Medium Of Exchange Bitcoin & Quark!
- Bitcoin & 1,000 New Merchants Per Week Utilizing New Medium Of Exchange: Bitcoin ATMs Go Mainstream!
- German Police Officers Take Off Helmets & Marched With German Citizens Against Rothschild European Central Bank ~ Validated.
- Next Phase Of Rothschild’s Megalomaniac Global NWO Financial Crisis About To Get Started: Its Also Time To Turn Off His Water & Power!
- GMO’s Deadly Facts: The Rothschild Cabal’s Audacity To Depopulate ~ Minimize Blowback From The World’s Citizens For Wealth Distribution To ‘THEIR’ NWO Vaults.