Remember, the Disclose Act will harm your ability to fire and replace your elected representatives. The bill will come to the House floor as early as TOMORROW – Thursday, June 24. Please send Congress a letter opposing this terrible violation of the First Amendment:
Remember, Congressional leaders have already created exemptions to this law for large groups like the NRA and AARP. This serves to show who this law is really aimed at. YOU!
You can copy or borrow from my letter to Congress . . .
There have been many critics of the exemption to the DISCLOSE Act that Congressional leaders created for large organizations like the NRA and AARP. But I want to point at what this exemption really means . . .
It isn’t big, powerful, organizations that you politicians fear, it’s ME, the humble voter and taxpayer, because that’s whom the DISCLOSE Act is really aimed at.
I don’t mind the NRA and AARP being exempted, I just want everyone else exempted too. And that neatly explains why you shouldn’t pass any version of this bill.
Please also CALL your Representative to oppose this bill. You can see his or her number when you are logged-in to our campaign.
The word disclose in the DISCLOSE Act is a silly acronym that stands for “Democracy Is Strengthened by Casting Light On Spending in Elections.” We couldn’t disagree more. The provisions of this bill (H.R. 5175 and S. 3295) would actually . . .
- Protect incumbents from competition by other candidates, and from criticism by citizens’ groups.
- Violate your First Amendment rights to free speech, free press, and assembly.
- Harm your First Amendment right to petition Congress for a redress of grievances.
- Crush your Ninth Amendment right to associate with others for peaceful purposes, such as defeating incumbent office holders and electing new representatives.
Incumbent politicians support campaign finance laws, like the DISCLOSE Act, because these laws kill your ability to fire and replace them. Media companies also love these laws because they cripple your ability to be your own media, by joining with others to fund political advertising campaigns.
Unlike you, and the political organizations you support, media companies enjoy completely unrestricted freedoms of speech, press, and association. They can raise and spend unlimited amounts . . .
- To tell you what you should believe
- And which candidates are worth considering
- While completely ignoring or ridiculing those candidates who don’t support the Establishment Ideology of Crony Capitalism and Welfare-Warfare Statism
Specifically, the DISCLOSE Act would harm an organization like DownsizeDC.org, Inc. in the following ways . . .
If we spend more than $10,000 on political communications during a calendar year we would have to report to the government, and to the general public, ALL donors who have given between $600 or $1,000, depending on the type of political communications we wanted to express. This may sound trivial, but it’s actually ominous . . .
- Instead of simply exercising our rights to free expression we would have to start thinking about whether or not something we wanted to say would trigger the requirements of this law.
- We would also have to start spending money that our donors gave for one purpose, such as educating the public, to comply with this law.
- These reporting requirements will also have a chilling effect on donations. Those who fear potential retaliation from Congress, or who simply value their privacy, may decide to cease making donations.
And that’s exactly what the DISCLOSE proponents want — they want to reduce political expression by groups that represent your anti-Statist ideals. They want to silence DC Downsizers and other groups that oppose the imposition of new laws.
This danger is especially severe with larger donors who may have business interests that could be harmed by incumbent politicians. Business leaders know that politicians routinely use their power to reward friends and punish enemies. That’s why the DISCLOSE Act also requires that . . .
Both the head of an organization, AND the top contributor to any broadcast ad, must both include recorded statements that they approve the message. Television ads and political mailings, must also list the top five contributors to the organization.
- Once again, this will have a chilling effect on contributions, and once again, this is what incumbent politicians want, because it will reduce the amount of criticism and competition directed at them.
- This requirement will also create administrative headaches. Fundraising materials will have to contain disclosure requirements, and database software will have to be re-programmed to account for these requirements.
- The cost of making ads will also increase, because top donors will have to go record their endorsement.
- The broadcast time required to say “this message was funded by . . . and I approve this message” will also eat into the educational portion of every ad. According to eight former members of the Federal Election Commission, writing in the Wall Street Journal . . .
In many 30-second ads, DISCLOSE would require no fewer than six statements as to who is paying for the ad (the current law already requires one such statement). These disclaimers would take up as much as half of every ad.
The DISCLOSE Act will also prohibit communications that could be interpreted as advocating a candidate’s election or defeat, even if the communication doesn’t specifically use those words. This is potentially the most dangerous provision of this legislation given that it is COMPLETELY SUBJECTIVE. No one will be able to know for sure if they are violating this law when they prepare an ad or other communication, so it will be safer to simply remain silent. Or, they could choose to divert even more of their donor’s money hiring lawyers before making each and every move.
PELOSI LYING TO THE AMERICAN PUBLIC
Oversight And Government Reform Committee Launching Probe Into Mortgage Lenders Which Caused Financial Crisis – Why Democrats Blocked Republican Regulations To Reign In Fannie Mae And Freddie Mac in 2001-2003-2005 S.190
British Operative Billionaire And Convicted Felon George Soros: Warns Sovereign American Citizens, Against Resisting His Unconstitutional Attempt At Regulating Them By The British Central Banking System – Nicknamed “Open Society”.
- No rest for principled Ted Cruz: Blocks Vote on FCC Chairman Over Political Speech (atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com)
- NRLC Urges U.S. House to Reject ‘Disclose Act’ as ‘Unprincipled, Unconstitutional’ Political Attack (deaconforlife.blogspot.com)
- LifeNews.com Pro-Life News Report 6/25/10 (deaconforlife.blogspot.com)