DEBKAfile Exclusive Report
6:47 PM GMT+02:00
Russian warships are due to call, at the Bahrain port of Manama, seat of the US Fifth Fleet in the Persian Gulf, DEBKAfiles military sources reveal. They will be following in the wake of the Russian vessels already docked at the Omani port of Salalah, the first to avail themselves of facilities at Gulf ports.
Their arrival is fully coordinated between the Russian and Iranian naval commands.
According to our sources, this is the first time a Russian flotilla will have taken on provisions and fuel at the same Gulf ports which hitherto serviced only the US Navy. Moscow has thus gained its first maritime foothold in the Persian Gulf.
The flotilla consists of four vessels from Russia’s Pacific Fleet: The submarine fighter Admiral Panteleyev is due at Manama Wednesday, escorted by the refueling-supply ship Izhorai, The supply-battleship Irkut and the rescue craft BM-37 are already docked in Salalah.
DEBKAfile‘s military sources report that the Russians, like the Iranians, cover their stealthy advance into new waters by apparent movements for joining the international task force combating Somali pirates. While Iranian warships have taken up positions in the Gulf of Aden, the Russians are moving naval units southeast into the Persian Gulf.
The Iranian naval chief, Adm. Habibollah Sayyari, announced that six Iranian warships had been dispatched to “the international waters” of the Gulf of Aden in a “historically unprecedented move… to show its ability to confront any foreign threats.” He did not bother to mention the muslim pirates.
Russian and Iranian naval movements in the two strategic seas are clearly synchronized at the highest levels in Tehran and Moscow.
Our military analysts find Russia and Iran seizing the moment for supplanting positions held exclusively by the US and other western fleets. They are taking advantage of two developments:
1. The number of US warships maintained in the Gulf has been reduced to its lowest level in two years; President Obama quietly reduced their presence near Iran’s shores in order to generate a positive atmosphere for the coming US dialogue with the Islamic Republic. Not a single US aircraft carrier is consequently to be found anywhere in the Gulf region.
2. President Nicolas Sarkozy inaugurated France’s first naval facility in the Gulf in Abu Dhabi. The Russian and Iranian policy-makers see no reason why Moscow cannot set up a military presence in the region if Paris can.
ALL MADE POSSIBLE FOR RUSSIA AND IRAN BY OBAMA PULLING U.S. FLEET OUT OF MANAMA!
- US to flex naval might in Persian Gulf war games (rt.com)
- Iran deploys submarine in Gulf as Western nations hold large naval exercise nearby (timesofisrael.com)
- Iran deploys Russian-made submarine in Gulf (dailystar.com.lb)
- One person killed in Iran’s Bushehr storm (en.trend.az)
- US to flex naval might in Persian Gulf war games (EndtheLie.com)
- Massive International Naval Force Converges on Persian Gulf (youviewedblog.wordpress.com)
- RT: US to flex naval might in Persian Gulf war games (jhaines6.wordpress.com)
- Iran’s Military Is Practicing Mine-Laying In The Persian Gulf (warsclerotic.wordpress.com)
- Iran Deploys Russian-Made Submarine in Gulf (abcnews.go.com)
- The ‘Third Track’: US Military Moves in Persian Gulf (warsclerotic.wordpress.com)