Existing gun laws do not lead to crime reduction and a safer place
Campaign for Shooting
But the report suggests that despite the restrictions on ownership the use of handguns in crime is rising.
The Centre for Defence Studies at Kings College in London, which carried out the research, said the number of crimes in which a handgun was reported increased from 2,648 in 1997/98 to 3,685 in 1999/2000.
It also said there was no link between high levels of gun crime and areas where there were still high levels of lawful gun possession.
Of the 20 police areas with the lowest number of legally held firearms, 10 had an above average level of gun crime.
And of the 20 police areas with the highest levels of legally held guns only two had armed crime levels above the average.
The campaign’s director, David Bredin, said: “It is crystal clear from the research that the existing gun laws do not lead to crime reduction and a safer place.
“Policy makers have targeted the legitimate sporting and farming communities with ever-tighter laws but the research clearly demonstrates that it is illegal guns which are the real threat to public safety.”
He said the rise was largely down to successful smuggling of illegal guns into the country.
Weapons have even been disguised as key rings no larger than a matchbox to get them in, he said.
Other sources of guns include battlefield trophies brought back by soldiers, the illegal conversion of replica firearms including blank firing pistols and the reactivation of weapons which had been deactivated.
Examples of illegally manufactured guns include screwdrivers being adapted to fire off one round, he said.
The Metropolitan Police said its official figures showed a 20% drop in armed robberies of commercial premises between April and July this year, compared with the same period last year.
The Home Office said measures were being taken to tackle handgun crime, including an intensified effort against illegally smuggled weapons.
- Matt Gurney: When you’re out of good ideas, call for a handgun ban (fullcomment.nationalpost.com)
- Gun Treatises Easily Blocked By Sovereign States When They Contravene The U.S. Constitution!
- Defunding The United Nations: “It’s A Rogue’s Gallery A Pariah State” “..That Needs Congressional Action”
- 130 Members Of Congress Tell Obama & Clinton To Back Off On The U.N. Arms Trade Treaty ~ Water More Deadly Than Guns!
- Breaking => Obama’s U.N. Treaty Defeated & Officially Dead In The Water: (Law Of The Sea Treaty) Violates U.S. Constitution!
- Urgent => Behind Closed Doors, Corporate Cabalists Have Designed A Chaos Bill To Deliver The “Coup de Gras” To The United States ~ TPP! Because In 2013 The Federal Reserve Looses Its Charter.
- In The Commission Of Sedition/Treason Against The 2nd. Amendment: A Call To Arraign Deadbeats Hillary Clinton & Barry Soetoro ~ A U.N. Or Any International “Treaty” Is Meaningless Against The Second Amendment!
- United States Christians Must Arm The Christians In Nigeria: Obama Administration Says Islam Murdering 1,000 Christians & Cutting Out Their Tongues Over The Last 3 Years In Nigeria Is Not Terrorism.