McLEAN, Va. (AP) — U.S. Rep. Alan Grayson, D-Fla., lost $18 million in a scheme that cheated him and about 120 other investors out of more than $35 million, according to court papers.
The Virginia man who ran the scheme, William Dean Chapman, was sentenced Friday in federal court to 12 years in prison. Prosecutors say Chapman used the money to fund a lavish lifestyle including a Lamborghini, a Ferrari and a $3 million home.
- Convicted Felon George Soros & Piece Of Shit Alan Grayson (D-Florida) : Feigns Outrage Over America’s Missing $500 Billion USD During Orchestrated 2008 Financial Meltdown!
- France Ditches Pelosi’s Dream Machine: The European Union.
- These 18 Keynesian Banksters Looted The U.S. Public Treasury!
- Breaking: US Marshals Expose Biggest Scandal in History ~ The Great Reckoning!
In most of the court papers, Grayson’s identity is protected — prosecutors say only that an elected official with the initials A.G. was the primary victim — but documents twice mention Grayson by name. The Democratic congressman confirmed Monday that he is the A.G. mentioned in the documents.
Nothing in the court papers suggests Grayson was anything but a victim of the scheme. Grayson, a former trial attorney, said he has had a long record for picking winning stocks, which formed the basis for his personal fortune.
The scheme worked like this: clients would turn over their stocks to Chapman as collateral for a loan, and Chapman would let customers borrow about 90% of the stocks’ value.
If the stocks did badly, borrowers could walk away and keep the money they were loaned. If the borrowers’ stocks did well, they would repay the loan with interest, and Chapman was supposed to return the stocks to the investor at their increased value.
According to court papers, Chapman sold the stocks and had no way to fulfill his obligations if a client’s stock portfolio did well.
“That’s why (Chapman) is going to prison for a long, long time,” Grayson said. “At least in the end, some kind of justice was served.”
- Nancy Pelosi’s California, Leads United States In Poverty Rankings!
- Nancy ‘Axis’ Pelosi’s Portfolio Assets! : Why She Doesn’t ‘Listen’ To Her ‘Constituency’.
- Lets Examine Nancy Pelosi ~ The Fruits Of Her Lies!
- Weekend Reflections ~ Nancy Pelosi & R. Allen Stanford: Socialist Banking Cabalist Indicted On $7 Billion Fraud Scheme!
In Grayson’s case, his stocks performed astronomically well while they were entrusted to Chapman and his company, Alexander Capital Markets.
Lawyers for Chapman said it was the strength of Grayson’s stocks that caused Chapman’s scheme to crumble. Chapman and Grayson negotiated a payment plan, according to court records, but it was not enough to keep Chapman’s positions from collapsing.
“Because the return on A.G.’s commodities investments were so astronomical, ACM could not meet its obligations under the loan agreements,” defense lawyer Whitney Minter wrote.
In 2007, Grayson had $9.35 million in a stock portfolio that Chapman was supposed to be holding as collateral. In that year alone, the portfolio’s value increased by 147%, to $23 million, according to a chart in the court documents.
Chapman’s lawyer did not immediately return a call. Chapman of Sterling, Va., pleaded guilty in May but tried at Friday’s sentencing hearing to withdraw the plea, saying he felt pressured to plead and never intended to defraud.
It is not the first time Grayson, who represents parts of the Orlando area, has lost tens of millions of dollars in a fraud scheme. In 2009, he won a $34 million judgment after filing a lawsuit in South Carolina under federal racketeering laws against a company called Derivium Capital. Derivium’s business plan for hedging an investor’s stock profile was nearly identical to the plan outline by Chapman.
- Dianne Feinstein Amasses Tremendous Fortunes Deconstructing The United States: U.S. Post Office Real Estate Sold To Cronie Friends On The Cheap!
- Senile Dianne Feinstein’s Surreptitious Desert Wilderness Protection Act To Block Gold Mining: Agenda 21 Shutting Down The United States Gold Mining, Biden’s Anti Coal, & Obama’s Anti Oil.
Grayson said he first entered into deals with Chapman in 2003, well before the deal with Derivium went south, so he had no reason to be suspicious of the arrangement.
He said the loans themselves were a perfectly reasonable way to manage his portfolio, but he relied on Chapman and Derivium to hold up their end of the bargain. He disputed that the astronomical returns to which he was entitled caused Chapman’s downfall.
“If they had not sold the collateral, it all would have worked,” said Grayson, who is generally listed as one of the 20 wealthiest members of Congress with assets of more than $20 million. His financial disclosure forms list holdings in dozens of stocks. His dealings with Chapman preceded his time in Congress, which began in 2009.
Court records indicate Chapman’s firm was drawing regulatory scrutiny as early as 2007.
Grayson expressed concern that his identity as a victim was not protected by the court file and that a defense motion and an attachment to a prosecution motion both identified him by name despite procedures supposed to be in place to protect victims’ privacy.
“I think that’s unfortunate,” Grayson said. “They should have been more careful, should have used my initials throughout rather than using my name.”
Before he was elected to Congress, Grayson practiced law and was best known for winning a major whistle-blower lawsuit exposing fraud on a government contract in Iraq.
In the House, he is one the most sharp-tongued critics of Republicans, once famously summarizing Republican’s health care plans as little more than wanting sick people to “die quickly.”
- Obamacare Designed To Fail: The ‘Kamikaze’ Attempt To Take Without Giving!
- Health Insurance Cancellation NOTICES Soar Above Lenin’s Obamacare Enrollment Applications ~ 21 States Have Nullified Obamacare.
- The PJ Tatler ” ‘Die Quickly’ Democrat Alan Grayson Loses $18 Million to Fraudster (xbradtc.com)
- Rep. Alan Grayson lost $18M in a Ponzi scheme. (grumpyelder.com)
- Alan Grayson scammed out of millions…for the second time (hotair.com)
- Humanity Declares Checkmate Upon The Banker’s NWO.
- Obama Is The United States’ Nelson Mandela – God help us!
- President Vladimir Putin Ends Media Abuses: Opens ‘Russia Today’ International News Agency ~ Vatican Catholic Radio Maria Opens Eleven New Offices In Four Continents.
- McCain’s Syrian Rebels Kidnapped 12 Catholic Nuns For Hostage Swap!
- Iraq Begins Pumping Oil Northward Into New Muslim Brotherhood Operations For Turkey & Jordan!
- When Saving Interest Rates Go Negative: Time For Quark!
- Robert Reich Admits Money Is Being Funneled Out Of The USA To The World’s Richest 1%
- Obama Eligibility: Pelosi Supplied Altered Congressional Records To The 2008 Election Commission!
- Nancy Pelosi Clinging To Antipathy : Palm Beach Party Had More Security Than Guests!