He said that Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari expressed in a statement, on the sidelines of his meeting Charge d-affaires Russian in Iraq Alexei Bogodam, that Iraq requests Russia to be considerate and cooperate with efforts to take away Iraq from Chapter provisions of Chapter VII of the UN Charter forced on him.
PRAVDA – Russia may join the ranks of major importers of weapons to Iraq. During the visit of Iraqi Prime Minister al-Maliki’s, a contract for $5 billion may be signed for the sale of MiG fighter jets, products of Russian Helicopters, anti-aircraft missile systems, armored vehicles and other weapons to the Middle Eastern country. Russia to sign $5-billion defense contract with Iraq.
Zebari also added that the ongoing deliberations in the Security Council on ending the order of the Special Coordinator on Kuwaiti missing persons and property in Iraq.
MOSCOW (AP) — Iraq and Russia are close to signing a $40 billion economic cooperation plan, Iraq’s ambassador said Saturday, a deal that could put Moscow at odds with the United States as it considers a military attack against Baghdad. Russia, Iraq near $40 billion pact
It is notable that Iraq is subject since 1990 to Chapter VII of the Charter of the United Nations, which forced after the attack the former Iraqi regime of the State of Kuwait in August of the same year, where this item permits the use of force against Iraq as a warning to international security, as well as freezing of large amounts of its possessions financial international banks to pay compensation to those affected by the attack.
Source: [Al Masalah]
- Iraq Foreign Relations Committee: Iraq will emerge from Chapter VII in 2013 (thecurrencynewshound.com)
- Zebari discusses with U.S. ambassador about removing Iraq from Chapter VII. (thecurrencynewshound.com)
- Ministry of Transport: tell the Kuwait era aircraft laden with evil is gone and we call on them to grant visas to Iraqis (nenosplace.wordpress.com)
- Russia, Iraq discuss bilateral cooperation (en.trend.az)
- N.Iraq oil trade with Turkey resumes via oil trucks (worldbulletin.net)
- Tehran to build gas pipeline to Iraq, Syria (panarmenian.net)
- Iraq’s top judge removed over ties to Saddam party (dailystar.com.lb)
- Kuwait signs agreement with Israeli security company to protect its border with Iraq (nenosplace.wordpress.com)
- Kuwait looks to closer cooperation with Iraq (gulfnews.com)
- Iraq calls for Russia to understand that the efforts of Iraq and to take them out of the provisions of Chapter VII (thecurrencynewshound.com)