The Senate opens today at 2pm. At 5:30pm Senator-Elect Mark Kirk (R-IL) will be sworn in by Vice President Biden.
The Senate continues consideration of the Food Safety Bill today.
(info on the bill http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s111-510)
Tonight at 6:30pm there will be a vote on the motion to invoke cloture on the Harkin substitute amendment #4715. If cloture is invoked, all post-cloture time will be yielded back & there will be up to 5 votes:
1. Johanns motion to suspend the rules (1099 reporting – fully offset);
2. Baucus motion to suspend the rules (1099 reporting);
3. Coburn motion to suspend the rules (substitute);
4. Coburn motion to suspend the rules (earmarks);
5. Final passage of the Food Safety Bill.
Once the Senate has completed consideration of Food Safety it is unclear what Leader Reid will move to next.
Take Action Now…Ask your Senators to Vote No against expanding the governments reach on this bill!
Locate your Senators’ contact numbers
Alternatively, you may phone the United States Capitol switchboard at (202) 224-3121. A switchboard operator will connect you directly with the Senate office you request.
Sens. Dick Durbin (D-IL), Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI), Charles Schumer (D-NY), John Kerry (D-MA), Ted Kennedy (D-MA), Carl Levin (D-MI), Ben Cardin (D-MD) and Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY) and Robert Menendez (D-NJ) cosponsor the current Senate legislation. And Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) are also working to make sure that all of the anti-gun legislation passes over on the House of Representatives side.
How to protest Senate Bill 510
1) Go to Congress.org and type in your zip code in the box in the upper right hand corner.
2) Click on your Senator’s name, and then on the contact tab for their phone number. You can also call the Capitol Switchboard and ask to be directly connected to your Senator’s office: 202-224-3121.
3) Once connected ask to speak to the legislative staff person responsible for agriculture. If they are unavailable leave a voice mail message. Be sure to include your name and phone number.
Give them this message in support of the “Tester Amendment” which would exempt small farms from S.510:
“I am a constituent of Senator___________. I ask that he/she support the Tester Amendment to the food safety bill. The Tester Amendment will exempt the safest, small, owner-operator farms and food facilities and farmers who direct market their products to consumers, stores or restaurants. Food safety legislation should not create inappropriate and costly regulatory barriers to family farms and the growing healthy food movement in the drive to crack down on corporate bad actors. Please support the Tester Amendment and market opportunities for small and mid-sized family farms, and small food processing facilities.”
You may also wish to explain that you oppose the Food Safety Modernization Act in its entirety, and it is a destructive, freedom-crushing law that will destroy the future of food inAmerica.
Remember, America has already lost control over its money supply to the Federal Reserve (nearly a hundred years ago). America has lost its health due to the medical industry and its profit-from-sickness agenda. Now we may lose our right to grow our own food and save our own seeds if Senate Bill 510 passes.
This is a dangerous, tyrannical law that would thrust the American people into an age of darkness and malnutrition. It would criminalize many of the very people growing our food and turn food production into yet another corporate monopoly.
Please take the time right now to contact your U.S. Senator and voice your strong opposition to this bill.Vodpod videos no longer available.