The U.S. informed Arab governments Tuesday that it will support a U.N. Security Council statement reaffirming that the 15-nation body “does not accept the legitimacy of continued Israeli settlement activity,” a move aimed at avoiding the prospect of having to veto a stronger Palestinian resolution calling the settlements illegal.
But the Palestinians rejected the American offer following a meeting late Wednesday of Arab representatives and said it is planning to press for a vote on its resolution on Friday, according to officials familar with the issue. The decision to reject the American offer raised the prospect that the Obama adminstration will cast its first ever veto in the U.N. Security Council.
Still, the U.S. offer signaled a renewed willingness to seek a way out of the current impasse, even if it requires breaking with Israel and joining others in the council in sending a strong message to its key ally to stop its construction of new settlements. U.S. officials were not available for comment, but two Security Council diplomats confirmed the proposal.
The Palestinian delegation, along with Lebanon, the Security Council’s only Arab member state, asked the council’s president late Wednesday to schedule a meeting for Friday. But it remained unclear whether the Palestinian move today to reject the U.S. offer is simply a negotiating tactic aimed at extracting a better deal from Washington.
Susan E. Rice, the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, outlined the new U.S. offer in a closed door meeting on Tuesday with the Arab Group, a bloc of Arab countries from North Africa and the Middle East. In exchange for scuttling the Palestinian resolution, the United States would support the council statement, consider supporting a U.N. Security Council visit to the Middle East, the first since 1979, and commit to supporting strong language criticizing Israel’s settlement policies in a future statement by the Middle East Quartet.
The U.S.-backed draft statement — which was first reported by Al Hurra — was obtained by Turtle Bay. In it, the Security Council “expresses its strong opposition to any unilateral actions by any party, which cannot prejudge the outcome of negotiations and will not be recognized by the international community, and reaffirms, that it does not accept the legitimacy of continued Israeli settlement activity, which is a serious obstacle to the peace process.” The statement also condemns “all forms of violence, including rocket fire from Gaza, and stresses the need for calm and security for both peoples.”
U.S. officials argue that the only way to resolve the Middle East conflict is through direct negotiations involving Israel and the Palestinians. For weeks, the Obama administration has refused to negotiate with the Palestinians on a resolution condemning the settlements as illegal, signaling that they would likely veto it if it were put to a vote. The Palestinians were planning to put the resolution to a vote later this week. But Security Council statements of the sort currently under consideration are voted on the bases of consensus in the 15-nation council.
The United States has, however, been isolated in the 15-nation council. Virtually all 14 other member states are prepared to support the Palestinian resolution, according to council diplomats. A U.N. Security Council resolution generally carries greater political and legal force than a statement from the council’s president.
The U.S. concession comes as the Middle East is facing a massive wave of popular demonstrations that have brought down the leaders of Tunisia and Egypt and are posing a challenge to governments in Algeria, Bahrain, and Iran.
TRIUMPH! 1,500 PATRIOTS COUNTER THE MUSLIM BROTHERHOOD IN YORBA LINDA
- No, Obama Is Not A Screwup: British Crown’s Ideologically-Driven Strategic Ineptitude -> Illuminati Chaos.
- Cairo Time: New Obama Romantic Blockbuster From The White House
- Dictator Obama: Mubarak Leave Egypt Immediately.
- Muslim Brotherhood In The United States: Christian Murdered For Drinking From A Muslim Tea Cup
- Genocide By Muslim Brotherhood: Cairo ~ Obama Glorifies Islam, While By Religion, Christians Forced To Live In Squalor.
- Muslim Brotherhood Granted ‘Direct Access’ To Taxpayer’s Stimulus Grants By Obama!
- Muslim Brotherhood’s Terror Training Camps Inside The USA.
- Most Slaves In America Were White
- United States Now Has More Oil Than Saudi Arabia: Obama Bans U. S. Drilling: Forces Our Money To Islamic Nations For Oil.
- Glock Pistol Sales Surge in Aftermath of Arizona Shootings: States’ Constitutional Militias/Civilians Buy More Firearms In 3 Months, Than What It Takes To Outfit The Entire Chinese And Indian Armies Combined!
- Weekend Reflections: Hillary Clinton Offers $106 Million In U.S. Taxpayer’s Money To Help Boost Muslim Brotherhood Ties! (politicalvelcraft.org)
- Muslim Brotherhood: Scum of The Earth (disquietreservations.blogspot.com)
- After elections, Muslim Brotherhood plans anti-American line, support for PA against Israel. (israelsurvivalupdates.wordpress.com)
- “One day we’ll kill ALL Jews,” says Barack Hussein Obama’s new BFF from the Muslim Brotherhood in Cairo (barenakedislam.wordpress.com)
- Defying Federal Court Order: Chicago, Illinois Governor Pat Quinn Appoints Safaa Zarzour As State Advisor: Zarzour Is Closely Linked To CAIR. (politicalvelcraft.org)
- THE UNITED STATES MILITARY MUST STAND DOWN => Biden Lying & Exploiting The World & U.S. Resources To Centralize Iran & Middle East With Rothschild’s Central Bank. (politicalvelcraft.org)
- Muslim Brotherhood sure of election victory in Egypt as Tahrir unrest lingers – Ha’aretz (haaretz.com)
- Muslim Brotherhood Preaching Israel Destruction after Election (papundits.wordpress.com)
- Obama’s Anti-Freedom legacy: Muslim Brotherhood to lead government in Libya (twtface.com)
- Who is the Real Muslim Brotherhood? (counterjihadreport.com)
- “islam = murder” says muslim brotherhood Egyptian president Mohammed Morsi (christianpersecutioninamerica.com)
- Huma Abedin’s Muslim-Brotherhood Ties (nationalreview.com)
- Muslim Brotherhood meets with leaders of terrorist Hamas (atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com)
- The Globalist Infiltration: Obama, Israel and the Muslim Brotherhood (thedailysheeple.com)
- Obama Administration Draws Closer to Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood (americanthinker.com)
- The rise and threat of radical islam: an interview with Brigitte Gabriel (dacke2012.wordpress.com)
- Huma Abedin and the Muslim Brotherhood: Closely Connected (johnmalcolm.me)
- The Globalist Infiltration: Obama, Israel and the Muslim Brotherhood (What is the Hegelian dialectic) (12160.info)
- 4. The Globalist Infiltration: Obama, Israel and the Muslim Brotherhood (What is the Hegelian dialectic) (12160.info)
- As the PA slips into the grasp of the Islamists (timesofisrael.com)