Christians, when they have lived up to the highest ideals of their faith, have defended the weak and vulnerable and worked tirelessly to protect and strengthen vital institutions of civil society, beginning with the family. It was in this tradition that a group of prominent Christian clergy, ministry leaders, and scholars released the Manhattan Declaration on November 20, 2009 at a press conference in Washington, DC. The 4,700-word declaration speaks in defense of the sanctity of life, traditional marriage, and religious liberty. It issues a clarion call to Christians to adhere firmly to their convictions in these three areas.
Read the Manhattan Declaration
Sign the Manhattan Declaration
Read a summary of the Manhattan Declaration (pdf)
Read why people signed the Manhattan Declaration and articles in support
Find resources about the Manhattan Declaration
Watch videos by supporters of the Manhattan Declaration
- On March 11 by voice vote the Kentucky House of Representatives passed a resolution to “Recognize and honor the efforts of those who have inspired thousands of Kentuckians with the Manhattan Declaration.” Read it here.
- Concerned Women for America signs the Manhattan Declaration. Watch the video.
- Analysis by Kathy Shaidle asks, “Is it conceivable that Archbishop Donald Wuerl could be charged with “hate speech” on account of his opposition to Washington’s same-sex “marriage” laws?” Read Soft Despotism: Contracts for Catholic Charities in Washington, DC hang by a thread of “tolerance.”
- Oakland Bishop Salvatore Cordileone explains rationale behind the Manhattan Declaration. Full article.
- Pastors call on Kentucky lawmakers to sign Manhattan Declaration. Read more.
- Renewing American Leadership is featuring an article about the Manhattan Declaration by co-author Chuck Colson. Read it here.
- His Eminence John Cardinal Foley, Grand Master, Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem, Rome (Italy), recently signed the Manhattan Declaration.
- Che Ahn, senior pastor of Harvest Rock Church in Pasadena, CA, and the founder and president of Harvest International Ministry, a worldwide apostolic network of over 5000 churches in over 35 nations, recently signed the Manhattan Declaration.
- Take Action to Defend Religious Liberty (deaconjohnspace.wordpress.com)
- A Personal Message that Needs YOUR Reply (oneway2day.wordpress.com)
- The Biggest Fight of Our Lifetimes (deaconjohnspace.wordpress.com)
- Never Waste a Good Crisis (challies.com)
- Break the Spiral of Silence (deaconjohnspace.wordpress.com)