March 20, 2014
Fairfax, Va. – Yesterday the Delaware Supreme Court found in the case Jane Doe v. Wilmington Housing Authoritythat the Wilmington Housing Authority’s (WHA) gun ban amongst its tenants, which denied these public housing residents their fundamental Second Amendment rights, is unconstitutional. The National Rifle Association has supported this suit since it was filed in 2010 through two federal courts and the state Supreme Court to defend the Right to Keep and Bear Arms of all Delawareans.
“We are happy to see this common-sense ruling yesterday and are honored to have stood by law-abiding Delaware residents in defending their Second Amendment rights. This was a clear case of discrimination against housing authority residents,” said Chris W. Cox, executive director of NRA’s Institute for Legislative Action.
“Self-defense is a fundamental, God-given right that belongs to every law-abiding American – no matter their tax bracket, zip code or street address.”
“On its face, the Delaware provision… protects the right to bear arms outside the home, including for hunting and recreation,” wrote Justice Ridgely in the opinion of the Court. “Section 20 specifically provides for the defense of self and family in addition to the home.’” (emphasis original)
In the past, Wilmington Housing Authority leases had contained provisions that prohibit residents from possessing firearms. Thousands of Delaware’s most vulnerable residents live in some of the state’s most dangerous neighborhoods, and this ban had prohibited them from possessing firearms to defend themselves and their families. Those who resided on WHA properties had risked being evicted should they exercise their Second Amendment freedoms, which for many families would mean living on the streets. This suit sought to prohibit such unconstitutional restrictions and regulations.
“This decision is significant because a person shouldn’t be forced to give up their Second Amendment rights just to have a place to live,” concluded Cox.
Established in 1871, the National Rifle Association is America’s oldest civil rights and sportsmen’s group. More than five million members strong, NRA continues to uphold the Second Amendment and advocates enforcement of existing laws against violent offenders to reduce crime. The Association remains the nation’s leader in firearm education and training for law-abiding gun owners, law enforcement and the armed services. Be sure to follow the NRA on Facebook at www.facebook.com/NationalRifleAssociation and on Twitter @NRA.
- Georgia lawmakers pass sweeping gun bill
- Ohio Schools Authorize Conceal Carrying Of Guns: Express Purpose For Student Safety!
- NY Sheriffs Protect Bill Of Rights Defy Cuomo: We Will Not Take Guns From Law-Abiding U.S. Citizens.
- Kansas Governor Signs Bill Nullifying Obama’s Violation Of The Bill Of Rights ~ Federal Attempt For Gun Control.
- Weekend Reflections: ATF, DOJ Accomplice to Murder – Holder Had Knowledge Of Project Gunrunner In 2009.
- Colorado To Recall Third Obama Soviet Democrat: Evie Hudak (D) Colluded In Seditious Gun Control Legislation.
- Detroit Police Chief To Gun Owners: Defend Your Homes ~ Ever Wonder What The Second Amendment Really Means?
- Texas Nullifies Obama: House Of Representatives Passes 12 More Firearms Bills Affirming ‘Bill Of Rights’ On ‘Gun Day’
- Combative Firearms Program Launches For The Public In Rahm Emanuel’s Chicago Gun Free Zone: Americans Protect Americans Arrest.
- 86% Of U.S. Police Officers Stand With Bill Of Rights & Against Gun Control: Police One’s Gun Control Survey 11 Key Lessons ~ U.S. Police Stand With Their Citizens!
- Homosexuality Kills More Than Double The People Than Do Cars, Suicide, Violence By Guns & War Combined: 617,000 Dead In U.S. From AIDS ~ Lead Cause Same Sex: