The number of private firearms in the United States continues to soar. According to Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, (ATF) figures just released, the number of firearms added to the private stock in 2015 was 12,945,416.
That total lags a bit more than a year because the ATF is legislatively bound to hold the numbers for at least that long before releasing them. This protects the various companies’ proprietary rights and possible competitive advantages that come with the numbers.
At the end of 2015, the stock should be at 388+ million firearms. Given the current trend, another 12 million or more firearms will be added in 2016, bringing the total stock to 400 million+ firearms by the end of the Obama presidency.
At the end of 2008 and the beginning of the Obama presidency, there were about 308 million private firearms in the United States. After eight years of President Obama in the highest executive position, I predict that there will be over 400 million.
In 2016, there were 27,538,673 NICS checks performed. That conservatively translates into another 15.6 million firearms added to the private stock in the United States.
NICS checks are done for reasons other than firearm purchases. NICS performs a check when people buy firearms from federally licensed dealers in the United States. The system is also used to perform background checks on people applying for firearm carry permits in those states where such permits are required or offered by law.
There’s also the fact that one check is performed when purchasing multiple firearms. So while the number of NICS checks isn’t a perfect measure of the number of firearms sold, a good rule of thumb is that the average number of private firearms added to the US stock is typically about .6 firearms per NICS check.
So “Trump slump” or no, Americans’ demand for for firearms shows no sign of significantly reducing any time soon.
- Gun Facts & The Second Amendment
- Americans Are Ignoring Unconstitutional Radical Gun Rules
- U.S. Citizens Defend Themselves With A Gun Every 41 Seconds
- Smallest Active-Duty Force Since 2001, According To A New Pew Research Center Analysis
- Jade Helm: Hey Military Joe Where You Going With That Gun In Your Hand ~ To Shoot Lady Liberty?
- U.S. Public Bought Enough Firearms In One Month To Create A New Military Branch & 4 Army Divisions
- US Supreme Court: Citizens must be permitted to use handguns for self-defense: Treaties Do Not Supersede The Second Amendment!
- U.S. Federal Judge Overturns Statute ‘Requiring’ Citizens To Have ‘A Good And Substantial Reason To Wear, Carry, Or Transport A Handgun
- U.S. Federal Judge Reverses ‘Emergency Powers’ To Impose Gun & Ammunition Ban: Gross Violation Of The Constitution’s Second Amendment.
- State’s Constitutional Militias: Sovereign Militias Buy More Firearms In 3 Months, Than What It Takes To Outfit The Entire Chinese And Indian Armies Combined!