Pope Tells Pelosi Catholics Must Oppose Abortion
EP NEWS— In what some news reports called a “stinging rebuke,” Pope Benedict XVI told House Speaker Nancy Pelosi in a Feb. 25 meeting that Catholics have a moral obligation to oppose abortion. Pelosi is a longtime abortion advocate.
- Obama: Enemy Of The Roman Catholic Church And The United States Citizens!
- Mainstream Government Proposes Graphic Copulation Warning Labels To Reduce Recreational Abortions? Abortions Costs Americans $1.93 Billion/Year!
The pope told Pelosi, who is America’s highest-ranking female politician, that Catholic elected officials have a duty to protect human life “at all stages of its development.” Pelosi has been a longtime supporter of taxpayer funded abortions and she opposed a partial-birth abortion ban.
Pelosi had a 15-minute audience with the pope. The meeting was closed to the media, but the Vatican released excerpts of Benedict’s comments. Among them: Benedict reminded Pelosi of the Catholic Church’s teaching “on the dignity of human life from conception to natural death.”
The Vatican statement further said: “His Holiness took the opportunity to speak of the requirements of the natural and moral law and the Church’s consistent teaching on the dignity of human life from conception to natural death. It said such teaching “enjoins all Catholics, and especially legislators, jurists and those responsible for the common good of society, to work in cooperation with all men of goodwill in creating a just system of laws capable of protecting human life at all stages of its development.”
The House Speaker also released a statement after the meeting, but Pelosi’s statement didn’t mention the abortion disagreement. “It is with great joy that my husband, Paul, and I met with his Holiness, Pope Benedict XVI today,” Pelosi’s statement read. “In our conversation, I had the opportunity to praise the Church’s leadership in fighting poverty, hunger, and global warming, as well as the Holy Father‘s dedication to religious freedom and his upcoming trip and message to Israel.” Pelosi said she was proud to be able to share a picture of her children and grandchildren with Benedict.
House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D.-Calif.) said on Thursday that the 43 Catholic institutions—including the Archdiocese of Washington, D.C., and the Archdiocese of New York–that are suing the Obama administration over its regulation mandating that all health-care plans must cover sterilizations, contraceptives and abortifacients are not speaking for the Catholic Church. CNSNews.com asked Pelosi, who is Catholic, whether she supported her church in the lawsuits it has filed, which argue that the administration’s regulation violates the freedom of religion guaranteed by the First Amendment.
“What about the 43 Catholic institutions [that] have now sued the administration over the regulation that requires them to provide contraceptives, sterilizations, and abortifacients in their health care plans?” CNSNews.com asked. “They say that violates their religious freedom. Do you support the Catholic Church in their lawsuits against the administration?” “Well, I don’t think that’s the entire Catholic Church,” Pelosi responded.
“Those people have a right to sue, but I don’t think they’re speaking ex cathedra for the Catholic Church. And there are people in the Catholic Church, including some of the bishops, who have suggested that some of this may be premature,” Pelosi said.
For those who wonder what ex cathedra means, it refers to declarations from the Pope considered to be infallible. They are exceedingly rare; the only one of which I’m aware since the formal declaration of the ex cathedra process established the doctrine in 1950 that Mary was bodily transported to heaven. Popes do not issue ex cathedra declarations on issues pertaining to governance, not even of the church itself.
- The Sebelius In The Footsteps Of White Supremacist Margaret Sanger: Founder Of Planned Parenthood & In Court With Shredded Evidence!
- Congress To Bypass Roe v. Wade: Stop Abortions & The Multi-$Billion Tax Upon U.S. Citizens!
- Left Wing White Supremacist Margaret Sanger – Barack Obama: The Eugenics Of Health Care Rationing.
- Democrats Uphold Obama’s Abortifacients With Lone Republican Vote From Olympia Snowe!
- Weekend Reflections: The Sebelius Receives Kickbacks For Killing Kids.
The doctrine that opposes abortion and contraception goes back to the earliest days of the church, and doesn’t require an ex cathedra declaration. Pope Paul VI’s Humanae Vitae in 1968 recapitulated that doctrine and brought the teaching into modern times, and bishops rely on it as instruction to themselves and the faithful. The problem in this case is that Barack Obama, Kathleen Sebelius, and Nancy Pelosi are trying to dictate ex cathedra their definition of religious expression — in order to curtail it. The Constitution doesn’t allow them to do that, and the bishops are making that point plain.
As most Catholics outside of Capitol Hill know and understand, the bishops speak for the Catholic Church, quite literally within their own dioceses, and in every other way when united as a group. They do not need an ex cathedra declaration to make decisions on public policy (and as I noted above, most of them would go a lifetime without seeing one anyway). Furthermore, the US Conference of Catholic Bishops unanimously oppose the HHS mandate and have called for opposition to it.
That is speaking with as much unanimity as one is likely to find within the Catholic Church, and while that doesn’t mean that every Catholic has to agree with it, it does mean that every Catholic should at least recognize that the bishops are indeed speaking for the Church in this matter. Speaking of which, the Catholic bishops will be participating in today’s rallies, and in a “Fortnight for Freedom” protest that follows (via Asian Conservatives):
Under the leadership of national co-directors Eric Scheidler and Monica Miller, Stand Up For Religious Freedom has built a coalition that includes 96 Catholic and non-Catholic religious and civil rights organizations. Stand Up For Religions Freedom’s first nationwide rally took place on the anniversary of Patrick Henry’s “Give Me Liberty of Give Me Death” speech.
Its upcoming event coincides with the 223rd anniversary of James Madison’s introduction of the Bill of Rights to the first U.S. Congress. The new wave of protests comes as the Supreme Court prepares to rule on the 2010 health care law, under which the contraception mandate was drafted and finalized. The mandate requires employers to purchase plans that include coverage for contraception, sterilization and abortion-inducing drugs, even if doing so goes against their beliefs. Soon after the June 8 protests, U.S. Catholics will join with their bishops in a “Fortnight for Freedom” dedicated to religious liberty.
Some may choose to close their ears. Others will hopefully have them opened.
- Pope Benedict knows that this is the age of addiction… (catholicherald.co.uk)
- Pelosi: Those bishops suing HHS don’t speak for the Catholic Church (hotair.com)
- Vatican secretary of state says Pope Benedict XVI victim of ‘ferocious’ attacks (mytechnologyworld9.blogspot.com)
- An exceptional gesture “at the express request of Pope Benedict XVI”: Papal Legate Cardinal Ouellet does penance at St. Patrick’s Purgatory in Ireland… (whispersintheloggia.blogspot.com)
- Vatican Censures Yale Nun for Sex Book (newser.com)
- Holy See Establishes Ordinariate in Australia (frstephensmuts.wordpress.com)
- Nancy Popelosi Knows All About Catholic Doctrine (independentsentinel.com)
- Her Eminence, Pope Nancy of the Patriotic American Catholic Church, Speaks (blogs4victory.wordpress.com)
- Pelosi: Bishops Suing Regime Don’t Speak for Catholic Church (mikesright.wordpress.com)
- Pope Benedict To Create Australian Ordinariate For Anglicans (eurasiareview.com)
- Taking directives from Nancy Pelosi on conscience and consistency is like… (insightscoop.typepad.com)
- Not just a concern for Catholics (palamas.info)
- Congress must protect Americans’ freedom of religion from Obama’s assault (fellowshipofminds.wordpress.com)
- US bishops gather to preserve religious liberty (foxnews.com)
- The liberties of one nation under God under attack (juneauempire.com)
- Catholic Pope Benedict Instructs Nancy Pelosi: “Duty To Protect Human Life “at all stages of its development.” ~ Pelosi ~ Catholic Church Does Not Speak For Her! (politicalvelcraft.org)
- Presidential Proclamation — June 2011 ~ Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Pride Month!
- Pope Benedict XVI Condemns Banking Cartel’s Reality Replacement: Such As McCain’s CFR, Rothschild’s Bank Bailouts, & Citizen Debt Enslavement!
- California Mark Leno A Real Life *ock Sucker: Forcing Leading Cause Of HIV Into Elementary School’s ‘No Child Left & Right Be Hind’
- Pedophilia Amnesty International: Indictments Against United Nations & DynCorp?
- Weekend Reflections: Obama’s Sodomy Faith-Based Advisor And Skin Head Harry Knox, Says Pope Bad, Obama Good.
- Barney Frank’s Collusion, Corruption, & Fannie Friends!
- Two Obama Same Sex Practitioners, Charged As Defendants In Blackmail Conspiracy.
- Chávez, Hollywood MilkMan, Sean Penn : Promoting Sodomy Which Shortens Life By 20 Years!