Well this is a relief. Jim DeMint’s website has announced that the Law of the Sea Treaty (and eco-nut treaty) is officially dead. It takes 67 senators to ratify a treaty, and with 34 senators opposing, the treaty has no chance of making it out of the Senate.
UPDATED 7/16/12: 4 additional senators have joined in opposition to LOST, including Mike Johanns (R-NE), Kelly Ayotte (R-NH), Rob Portman (R-OH) and Johnny Isakson (R-GA). With 34 senators against the misguided treaty, LOST will not be ratified by the Senate this year.
Strong opposition is rising in the U.S. Senate to the U.N.’s Law of the Sea Treaty (LOST) that would subjugate American sovereignty to the whims of an international tribunal. To date, 30 Republican senators have signed onto a letter opposing LOST. It takes 67 votes to approve treaties in the Senate, so only 34 votes are needed to ensure defeat of this misguided treaty.
Why is LOST so harmful?
- It would act as a backdoor Kyoto Protocol, forcing us into cap and trade policies that would destroy jobs and harm our economy.
- It would cost the U.S. trillions of dollars in international royalties to nations including state sponsors of terror like Sudan and “socialistic, despotic or brutal governments in Belarus, Burma, China or Zimbabwe.”
- Former U.S. ambassador to the U.N. John Bolton warned it would embolden China, “constrain U.S. naval activities, and do nothing to resolve China’s expansive maritime territorial claims.”
- Radical environmental groups have lined up in support of LOST.
- President Ronald Reagan strongly opposed the treaty as a threat to U.S. sovereignty.
- Law of the Sea Treaty is Dead in the Water (pumabydesign001.com)
- Law of the Sea Treaty Dead (tarpon.wordpress.com)
- Conservatives hit magic number to sink Law of the Sea Treaty (hotair.com)
- News & World Events – Law of the Sea Treaty now dead (disclose.tv)
- Rob Portman and Kelly Ayotte Sink Law of the Sea Treaty (usnews.com)
- GOP Opposition Scuttles Law-of-Sea Treaty – Wall Street Journal (stream.wsj.com)