Governor Deval Patrick said Monday that allowing young illegal immigrants to pay the lower resident rate for tuition and fees at state colleges and universities if they obtain work permits is just one piece in the process to overhaul immigration policy.
“It’s a step in the right direction, but it’s not a substitute for comprehensive immigration reform. We still need that,” Patrick told reporters at the State House.
- “The Right Of The People To Alter” ~ $494 Billion Taxmageddon Slated To Strike The United States On January 1st, 2013: How Does It Feel Under The Bus?
- Another Conspiracy Theory Becomes Reality: “We Got F**ked” ~ General Motors Moves To China After U.S. Taxpayer $80 Billion Bailout And Old G.M. Buildings Being Converted To Active FEMA Concentration Camps!
- Lois Capps Author Of The Hidden ‘Capp’s Law’ In Obamacare Caught Again: Lois Pulls A [Daschle Geithner Capone] And Evades Uh Fails To Report $500,000.00 Dollars For Income Tax!
- Obama Deceit Sends $1 Billion In Tax Payer’s Cash For CAIR’s Muslim Brotherhood In Egypt: What Obama Does Not Want You To Know!
- Taxpayers Were Forced To Pay $1.4 Billion On Obama’s Family Last Year!
On Monday, he sent a letter to the Board of Higher Education directing it to revise its policy immediately to allow illegal immigrant students to pay resident rates if they meet all other requirements.
- Obama Devastates Low-Income American Families By Stripping $100 Billion For Higher Education: While A Higher Education Sanctuary Is Provided To Criminal Immigrants!
- Mexico’s Unemployment Rate Average Is 3.67%: Immigrants Heading Back To Mexico!
- At The Height Of The Banker Orchestrated Crisis: 70% Of Tax Payer’s Money From Rothschild’s Federal Reserve Went To Foreign Banks ~ While Americans Slipped Into Poverty!
- Maybe Now The Middle Class Unemployed Will Rid The Senate Of Harry Reid & His Henchmen: Rothschild Controlled Senate Just Voted To Increase Taxes On Small Businesses & Flush 700,000 more American Jobs. Shovel Ready?
- Mafia Federal Reserve Printing Endless Counterfeit Dollars For Themselves & Making U.S. Taxpayers Pay It Back: While Alaskans Receive $878 In Yearly Investment Earnings Payout!
Patrick’s decision comes five months after President Obama launched the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program. The initiative gives immigrants age 30 and younger two-year reprieves from deportation and work permits if they arrived before age 16, had a clean record, and met other requirements. They also must pay a $465 fee.
“The implementation of in-state tuition rates for illegal immigrants should be stopped immediately,” Jones said in a statement. “Regardless of whether or not the governor and I agree on this issue, the topic at hand should be how best to provide an affordable education for all of Massachusetts’ residents.”
- Theodore Roosevelt On Immigrants
- Mexican Drug Cartel Along With 663 Followers Of Islam ~ Pushes Criminal Immigrants & Illegal Drugs Into America: You didn’t really think all those headless bodies turning up lately were the work of Mexicans, did you?
- Obama Enforces United Nations Agenda 21 by Shutting Down 259 Fed Agriculture Offices ~ Ending Initially 7,000 American Jobs (which is still increasing) While Importing 80,000 Islamic Immigrants.
- Support Our Troops In Their Fight For Liberty: More Food Stamps, Record Home Foreclosures, The Right To Bailout Billionaire Bankers, Less Energy Assistance, Less Educational Assistance, & The Right To Educate, Hospitalize Criminal Immigrants!
- Weekend Reflections: Illegal Presidential Executive Order, Gives 84 Million Immigrants U.S. Sovereign Status.
He accused the governor of trying to usurp the power of the Legislature, by implementing the policy unilaterally.
Patrick’s decision also drew criticism from a prominent Democrat. State Senator Richard Moore of Uxbridge said he is worried that illegal immigrants might take slots at public colleges from students who are legal residents of Massachusetts.
“Given the limitations on access by taxpayers, it’s a concern as to whether it’s the right policy at this point in time,” Moore said. “Are we going to add faculty? Are we going to add rooms?”
Moore also faulted the governor for imposing the policy unilaterally rather than seeking the Legislature’s approval.
“I don’t think he’s laid out the case for it yet,” Moore said.
The governor says he is on strong legal footing to act unilaterally. He said that because any resident of Massachusetts with a work permit is currently entitled to in-state tuition rates, his order merely clarifies that these young illegal immigrants, so long as they have a work permit, will be covered under that policy.
“Not every policy requires a legislative review,” he said.
Patrick’s announcement, reported by the Globe on Sunday, dramatically slashes the cost of a college education for immigrants who until now had to pay out-of-state rates.
For example, the flagship University of Massachusetts Amherst costs $26,645 this year for nonresidents, compared with $13,230 for residents, while Bunker Hill Community College costs $5,640 this year for residents, compared with $13,880 for nonresidents. And Framingham State costs $8,080 for residents this year, compared with $14,160 for nonresidents.
- Barack Hussein Obama has made it so that Muslims comprise the largest segment of immigrants to the U.S.
- Alex Jone’s False Flag Of Sedition: 33 Catholic Bishops Call For Humane Treatment Of Immigrants Who Are Here Illegally.
- Nancy Pelosi: Exploiting Illegal Immigrants – Needs More Illegal Votes And A Means To Keep Indebting The United States.
- Amnesty For U.S. Bernie Madoff: Before Amnesty To Foreign Nationals ~ Criminal Immigrants Cost $2.6 Trillion!
- Judicial Watch Sues Federal Reserve for Records Detailing U.S. Taxpayer Bailout of European Banks
“These are not outsiders, these are residents and taxpayers who pay their dues to Massachusetts,” Eva Millona, executive director of the Massachusetts Immigrant and Refugee Advocacy Coalition, said before hosting an annual Thanksgiving lunch celebrating new citizens at the State House.
Millona said the new federal program is a “temporary fix” until Congress passes a comprehensive overhaul of the immigration system.
US Representative Michael Capuano, who spoke at MIRA’s lunch, said he was hopeful changes to federal immigration law would be addressed in this congressional term, but problems must be addressed in the meantime.
“We have a lot of mistakes we’re trying to fix with Band-Aids. I hate the Band-Aid approach, but sometimes its necessary,” he said.
Lieutenant Governor Timothy P. Murray said it made economic sense to help young immigrants earn an education and a productive living after they attended public elementary and high schools.
“It’s making good on an investment so many of our taxpayers have already made,” Murray told the lunch crowd. “It’s important that we realize the full payoff of that investment by allowing them to go on.”
Johanna Kaiser can be reached at email@example.com. Levenson can be reached at MLevenson@Globe.com
- 80% Of Obama Farm Bill Going To Food Stamps: Thats $770 Billion [Charged To Tax Payers] & Then Diverted To Companies Like Monsanto!
- General Electric Makes New Lear Jet In Mexico Where Unemployment is 4.9%: U.S. Taxpayers Bailed Out G.E. For $182.5 Billion. Thanx G.E.
- 36 Obama Aides Owe $833,000 In Back Taxes: Will Wesley Snipes Be Set Free?
- Why Income Tax Was & Is Not Necessary To Fund the U.S. General Government.
- Republican Paul Ryan: Ryan Raised Taxes While Obama Already Cut Education Assistance By $100 Billion, Cut Food Stamps By $2.2 Billion, & Health Care By +$6.6 Billion.
- Patrick says tuition breaks are part of wider effort to overhaul immigration policy (boston.com)
- Mass. To Offer In-State Tuition To Illegal Immigrants (wbur.org)
- Under new program, in-state tuition rates open to children of illegal immigrants (metrowestdailynews.com)
- Immigrants may pay in-state tuition under federal program (enterprisenews.com)
- MA Governor Bypasses Legislature to Give Illegal Immigrants In-State Tuition (a4cgr.wordpress.com)
- GOP answering wake-up call on immigration (mysanantonio.com)
- Government Website For Immigrants: Come To America And Take Advantage Of Our Free Stuff (thedailysheeple.com)