For all the public irritation over New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s high-handed attempt to ban large-size sugary drinks, most New Yorkers were expecting it to pass into effect Tuesday as planned. Although opponents had gone to court in an effort to block the measure, the press had not paid much attention to their challenge.
- Michael Bloomberg’s NYC Expanding Nazi State
- America Is Watching Michael Bloomberg: Disgraced Fannie Mae IS Part Of Obama’s Carbon Scheme!
“Judge Tingling struck down the soda ban in a sweeping opinion that does everything but hand Mayor Poppins his umbrella and carpetbag.”
Public health activists were already pursuing plans to use the ban as an entering wedge to get laws passed in other cities and states restricting food and beverage choices. “I think you’re not going to see a lot of push back here,” predicted Bloomberg himself.
And then they were struck by a sudden Tingling. Judge Milton Tingling of the state trial-level court in Manhattan, that is.
On Monday, Judge Tingling struck down the soda ban in a sweeping opinion that does everything but hand Mayor Poppins his umbrella and carpetbag. This wasn’t just a temporary restraining order putting the regulation on hold for a few weeks. The judge struck down the ban permanently both on the merits (“fraught with arbitrary and capricious consequences”) and as overstepping the rightful legal powers of the New York City Department of Health — meaning that the board cannot go back and reissue the regulations on its own authority even if it should develop a better factual basis for them.
- Deadbeat New York Senator Charles Schumer: Covers For Deadbeat New York Mayor Bloomberg’s Expatriated Millions To Oversea Banks!
- While Violent Crimes In NYC Spike: Mayor Bloomberg Bilks His $Millions To Off Shore Banks.
- Abu Bakr Bloomberg, Calls For Fraudulent Carbon Tax: 72% Of Americans Say Drill Here Drill Now!
- Arbitrary and capricious. The ban would have covered some but not other food establishments, some but not other highly sweet or fattening drinks (the “latte exception”), and the health department had resorted to “suspect grounds” in distinguishing the two. “The simple reading of the rule leads to the earlier acknowledged uneven enforcement even within a particular city block, much less the city as a whole … the loopholes in this rule effectively defeat the stated purpose of the rule,” wrote the judge.
- Beyond the agency’s powers. Lawyers for the Department of Health claimed that it was an agency with broad power to issue edicts and decrees protecting public health, and pointed to old cases in which courts had upheld its power to act on its own. Judge Tingling slapped down this dangerous claim. Just because an agency may possess sweeping emergency powers — to quarantine innocent persons during a raging epidemic, for example — does not mean it can assert similar powers in situations that are not emergencies. It’s a crucial point.
- Separation of powers. When Mayor Bloomberg wanted the soda ban, he went not to the New York City Council — which had indeed debated similar ideas in the past — but to a city Department of Health staffed with his own appointees. Judge Tingling blew the whistle on this infringement on the principle of separation of powers. The soda ban was in essence a venture into legislation, and as such needed to be taken up, if at all, by the legislative branch of government. Again, the implications are significant, since Bloomberg is hardly alone in his efforts to bypass fractious legislators and make law instead by executive edict.
The city administration vows to appeal, and it almost has to, for the sake of the reputation of the mayor and his public health crew. For them, the biggest reproach in the decision isn’t in being found to have gotten the facts wrong, it’s being found to have violated the law.
And if anyone is expected to know and play by the rules, it’s a nanny.
- Bacon In Park Is A Hate Crime: Belongs At Bloomberg’s New York Museum Of Art ~ Where Roman Catholic Corpus Crucifix Is Displayed In a Glass Of Human Urine & A Blasphemous Movie Titled “The Pope’s Toilet”.
- Treasonist Joe Biden Dismantling The United States: If Obama’s Faux Jobs Bill Doesn’t Pass, Rapes & Murders Will Skyrocket. Like In Bloomberg’s New York City?
- NEW YORK’S MR. AUSTERITY: Michael Bloomberg’s N.Y. Violent Crime Sky Rockets ~ Murders Up 11% Rapes 13%, People Shot 7%
- Remembering Bloomberg’s New York City Propagandists Exploitation Of 911 Victims: Proposes Gay Practitioner Victims Over 5 Million Catholic Victims Exterminated In Hitler’s Holocaust.
- Military Coup Could Oust Obama & NYC Bloomberg!
- Judge Strikes Down Bloomberg’s Soda Grab (cato.org)
- George Washington Tells Michael Bloomberg To “Imitate Christ” & “A Free people Ought To Be Armed”
- Judge strikes down Bloomberg soda ban, cont’d (overlawyered.com)
- New York City Council Shuts Down Mayor (sic) Michael Bloomberg!
- Judge throws out NYC’s ban on large sugary drinks (givemeliberty01.com)
- Judge puts a stop to Mayor Bloomberg’s NYC soda ban (pix11.com)
- Breaking: Judge Slaps Down Soda Ban (secretsofthefed.com)
- SODA RULE FIZZLES: NYC Sugary Drink Ban Put on Ice by Judge (foxnews.com)
- Remove Michael Bloomberg Into The Annals Of Judas Iscariot: Laying The Groundwork For Riots While Calling For Carbon Tax!
- Bitter Bloomberg Clings To Antipathy Towards America’s Founding Fathers: Restricts 911 Ceremony In New York To Atheism.
- Satan To Distance Self From Rothschild, Soros, McCain, Bloomberg, Lieberman, Reid, Rockefeller, & Maurice Strong!
- Will Rothschild, Soros, Bloomberg, Rockefeller, Strong, Self Appreciating Bilderbergs, & The Jughead Illuminatis Come To Japan’s Aid? Are You Kidding?
- Bloomberg Face Of Terror: E-Mails Prove NYC Bloomberg Perpetuates Illuminati Chaos With Headcutter Mosque ~ Its All About Elitist Money