Two of every three practicing physicians oppose the medical overhaul plan under consideration in Washington, and hundreds of thousands would think about shutting down their practices or retiring early if it were adopted, a new IBD/TIPP Poll has found.
The poll contradicts the claims of not only the White House, but also doctors’ own lobby — the powerful American Medical Association — both of which suggest the medical profession is behind the proposed overhaul.
It also calls into question whether an overhaul is even doable; 72% of the doctors polled disagree with the administration’s claim that the government can cover 47 million more people with better-quality care at lower cost.
The IBD/TIPP Poll was conducted by mail the past two weeks, with 1,376 practicing physicians chosen randomly throughout the country taking part. Responses are still coming in, and doctors’ positions on related topics — including the impact of an overhaul on senior care, medical school applications and drug development — will be covered later in this series.
Major findings included:
•Two-thirds, or 65%, of doctors say they oppose the proposed government expansion plan. This contradicts the administration’s claims that doctors are part of an “unprecedented coalition” supporting a medical overhaul.
It also differs with findings of a poll released Monday by National Public Radio that suggests a “majority of physicians want public and private insurance options,” and clashes with media reports such as Tuesday’s front-page story in the Los Angeles Times with the headline “Doctors Go For Obama’s Reform.”
Nowhere in the Times story does it say doctors as a whole back the overhaul. It says only that the AMA — the “association representing the nation’s physicians” and what “many still regard as the country’s premier lobbying force” — is “lobbying and advertising to win public support for President Obama’s sweeping plan.”
•Four of nine doctors, or 45%, said they “would consider leaving their practice or taking an early retirement” if Congress passes the plan the Democratic majority and White House have in mind.
More than 800,000 doctors were practicing in 2006, the government says. Projecting the poll’s finding onto that population, 360,000 doctors would consider quitting.
Planning For Future
- War Upon America By Convicted Felon George Soros & Barry Soetoro, The Left Wing Fascist Insurgency. (politicalvelcraft.org)
- Doctors vs. the AMA (reason.com)
- New Doctors’ Survey Says AMA Fails on Health Reform, New Voice Needed Seventy-Seven Percent say AMA No Longer Represents Their Views (prweb.com)
- Just Released -> Saudi Royal Family Bank Rolled 9/11 Attack On United States: Obama Obstructs Evidence To American Citizens! (politicalvelcraft.org)
- CFR’s Charles Ferguson Produces Movie ‘Inside Job’ ~ Matt Damon Narrates Including ‘Inside Trader’ Convicted Felon George Soros & Underling Barney Frank. (politicalvelcraft.org)
- Bullying of Alberta MDs systemic, say medical groups (cbc.ca)
- AMA: Drug shortages a national emergency (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Argentina Supreme Court Connected To Convicted Felon George Soros’s Prostitution Operations! (politicalvelcraft.org)
- Ron Paul Wins National Poll: Ron Paul Wins GOP Debate Los Angeles Times. Video (politicalvelcraft.org)
- PPACA is Coming Soon To Your Neighborhood (healthtrain.blogspot.com)