When a million people swarmed on to the streets of Brazil last June there was consensus that the protest was a phenomenon of the “new middle class” – squeezed by corruption and failing infrastructure. As the Thai protests continue, these too are labelled middle class: office workers staging flashmobs in their neat, pressed shirts.
But what does middle class mean in the developing world? About 3 billion people earn less than two dollars a day, but figures for the rest are hazy. Now, fresh research by the International Labour Organisation (ILO) economists shows in detail what’s been happening to the workforce of the global south during 25 years of globalisation: it is becoming more stratified – with the rapid growth of what they term “the developing middle class” – a group on between $4 and $13 a day.
- School To Prison Pipeline: The Totalitarian Money Scheme
- The Offshore Outsourcing Of American Jobs: Congressional Act Of Unemployment Terrorism!
- 91.5 Million Americans Not Working Who’s Unemployment Benefits Have Expired: This Number Is Not Allowed In Obama’s Unemployment Calculations Which Is Not Broadcasted For Public Knowledge!
- Invest In Taxes ’cause They’re Going Up : Obama’s War On Achievement.
- Buffett Bilks America ~ Profits $49.1 Billion While His Private Prisons Grow
- What Happens To Our Body After Drinking Buffet’s Coca-Cola & To Those Murdered Making It.
- 11 States In The USA Have More People On Welfare Than Employment: More Americans On Welfare Than The Population Of Spain.
This group has grown from 600 million to 1.4 billion; if you include around 300 million on above $13 a day, that’s now 41% of the workforce, and on target to be over 50% by 2017.
But in world terms they’re not really middle class at all. That $13 a day upper limit corresponds roughly to the poverty line in the US in 2005. So what’s going on?
The ILO researchers mined data from 61 household surveys across the world to come up with these figures. In the process they adopted a rough definition of the lifestyle of the sub-$13 group. The key markers were: families had access to savings and insurance, were likely to have a TV in the home and to live in smaller households (four people).
They would typically spend 2% of their income on entertainment – plus they would have better access to water, sanitation and electricity. These, then, are the “winners” from globalisation: an expanding group for whom global growth has meant a serious rise in real income, year after year, compared with the recent near stagnation of incomes for working and lower-middle-class families in parts of the developed world.
- Obama Spreads U.S. Troops To Niger, Africa To “Support Tax Payer Predator Drone Base” ~ From Libya To Niger The Killing Goes On.
- United States Must Arm The Natives In South Africa: From London With Love ~ South African Police Massacre Natives At London Based Platinum Mine 44 Dead, 72 Injured.
You might assume the “developing middle class” are mainly factory workers but they’re not. One of the most startling results of the ILO survey is that more than half the “developing middle class” works in the service sector. Factory workers form between 15% and 20% of each income group: they are spread from the destitute to the above-$13 group. This, say the researchers, reflects the fact that the industrial sector of the global south now offers as much skilled, high-value work as it does sweated labour.
When Harvard economist Richard Freeman calculated the “great doubling” of the world’s workforce – as a result of global development and the entry of former communist states into the market – the assumption was that this would recreate a “proletariat” at the periphery of capitalism.
It did, but the ILO calculation is the strongest evidence to date that they are moving steadily towards stratification and more service-oriented work, just as its rich-world counterpart did in the 1960s and 70s.
- NWO’S MSM Buries The 21% Surge In Unemployment Claims: U.S. Jobless Claims Leap 66,000 To 374,000 ~ But Lets Keep Sending Our Jobs To Other Countries!
- New World Old World: Freedom’s Phenomena, Walking Away, False Flags, Idea Trends, & Currency Reset.
Go to the reality of being “new middle class” in Brazil, Morocco or Indonesia and the word “comfortable” does not spring to mind. It means often living in a chaotic mega-city, cheek-by-jowl with abject poverty and crime, crowding on to makeshift public transport systems and seeing your income leach away into the pockets of all kinds of corrupt officials, middlemen and grey market people.
This in turn has shaped what people protest about. There remain, of course, high-profile workers’ struggles: in Argentina there are still more than 180 occupied factories.
- EGYPT Imprisons Obama Muslim Brotherhood: Takes Action Against Terrorist Conspirators Barack Obama & Hillary Clinton!
The cotton city of El-Mahalla el Kubra in Egypt remains the kind of place that can pull a total work stoppage and as in December 2012, declare “autonomy” from the [2012 Morsi Muslim Brotherhood NWO] government.
- Clinton Official Arrested In Egypt As Member Of Obama’s Muslim Brotherhood
- Rothschild Too Big To Jail? Russia, Egypt, Iceland, Iran, China, & Hungary Say No!
- Egyptian Legal Authorities Charge Obama And Hillary Clinton: Criminal Conspiracy With Muslim Brotherhood.
- Obama Takes A Hit: Egypt Strikes Back Twice As Hard ~ Court Jails 52 Political Muslim Brotherhood Regime Members ~ 11 Get Life Sentences
But the ILO trend suggests that, by the second quarter of the century, the typical social dynamics of a medium-developed country will be a mixture of “workplace” conflicts and the more networked, sporadic and volatile ones we saw in Turkey and Brazil last year. The western left has lived through decades of angst over the decline of the manual work, and its ideology of resistance, sometimes softened by the hope that it would all be recreated somewhere else. The ILO survey suggests not.
- Iraq Under Siege: U.S. Al-Qaeda aka; Descends Iraq Into Civil War!
- Obama Foments Iraq Into North Korean Totalitarian State: Secretly Deploys Unmanned Drones Carrying Hell Fire Missiles!
- Obama Plans to Annex One-Third Of Iraq Using U.S. CIA al-Qaeda: To Launch Further Attacks Against Syria From Iraq Syrian Border.
- 9000 Dead In Iraq’s Deadliest Year 2013: While Obama’s President Maliki Pumps Oil To Muslim Brotherhood Strongholds Of Turkey & Jordan!
What was unthinkable 20 years ago is now becoming tangible: that the real incomes of skilled workers, knowledge workers and managers in “developing countries” are overlapping with those at the bottom of the heap in western society. But where once this prospect was understood to foretell stability, it does not. As the World Bank lead economist Branko Milanovic has shown, when it comes to causing inequality, the impact of class and location have reversed: “Around 1870, class explained more than two thirds of global inequality. And now? The proportions have exactly flipped: more than two thirds of total inequality is due to location.”
Milanovic calls this the “non-Marxian world”, in which class struggle becomes less useful as a strategy and the logical thing to do is migrate: “Either poor countries will become richer or poor people will migrate to rich countries”. I think, on the contrary, that the upsurge of unrest is a signal that the rising, poor, new middle class – which cannot migrate en masse – has decided to force poor countries to become richer in democracy, sustainability, urban infrastructure, healthcare.
Upsurge Of Unrest?
- United States war in Africa
- Photos of terror drone victims released in Pakistan
- John Kerry After 10 Years Of Searching ~ Finds George’s Iraq WMDs In Syria!
- Obama Approves Oil Pipeline Between Iraq & Jordan: Spreading The Wealth By Our Blood & Treasure!
- Pope Francis Warns Against The “Prêt-à-porter” Of Wealth Distribution That Advocates “Depravity Of Free Will”.
- Possible Implications of Faulty US Technical Intelligence in the Damascus, Syria Nerve Agent Attack of August 21, 2013
- President Putin: World Leaders Should Unite To End Anti-Christian Persecution ~ Specifically U.S. Strongholds Of Iraq & Northern Africa.
- Jordan to Head Syria Rebel Arms Program: Following Obama/Kerry Visit ~ Jordan Promised 1,056 Double Oil Pipe Line from Iraq ~ Jordan Now Helps Rothschilds Tumble Syria’s Central Bank!
They’re choosing signal issues – corruption, transport, green space as in the Gezi Park occupation in Istanbul – but across the world their determination to make life on $13 a day less arbitrary and insecure is clear.
- The People vs The Banks ~ Without Firing A Shot: Catholic Subsidiarity!
- In The Year 2000 There Were 7 Countries Without A Rothschild-Owned Central Bank: They were Afghanistan, Iraq, Sudan, Libya, Cuba, North Korea and Iran.
- Why The NWO Is Devaluing The Dollar: Theft!
- The Iraq War: 10 Years Later, Where Do We Stand?
- LIBOR’s $300 Trillion In Fraudulent Paper Derivative Contracts Revealed: Looting Jig Is Up!
- Iraq’s Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki: Committing State Mass Murder & Atrocities By Death Squads Similar To Obama.
- Number One Killer Of Mankind Can Be Traced To Rothschild’s NWO Democide: Death By Banker’s Usurped Government!
- Cost Of Military Paid By The U.S. Taxpayer: Used For Establishing Rothschild Central Banks In Iraq, Libya, Next Syria & Last Holdout Iran.
- Pope Francis Has It Right On “Unfettered” Capitalism vs Communism aka; Keynesian Economics ~ Its What Bill Clinton Actually Did In 1999.
- Pravda Is The United States Prepared?: While Iraq Buys Back Currency Off The Streets & Retires It ~ The FED Is Smothering America In Newly Printed Funny Money!
- Rothschilds Want Iran’s Banks: Rothschild Obtained Iraq’s Central Bank, Rothschild Obtained Muammar Gaddafi’s Lybian Gold ~ Syria & Iran Next Using U.S. Military Machine!